10 encouragements for those fighting the good fight of faith
Today is a good day to renew our covenant as Christians, and set goals for progress.
How can we succeed in fighting the good fight of faith? (1 Timothy 6:12) Here are ten encouraging, inspiring and practical pointers:
- Walk straight ahead on the way of God. Don’t look back like Lot’s wife. Continue to say “yes” to Jesus, for He surpasses all knowledge. Forget what lies behind, and earnestly pursue what lies ahead; hasten toward the treasure which is laid up in heaven for you.
(Philippians 3:12-14; Matthew 6:20)
- Do not love the world or the things in the world, and never covet anything on earth. Pursue those things which are above; the kingdom of heaven consists of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of God leads us into the depths of this kingdom so that our peace is like a river and our righteousness like the waves of the sea.
(1 John 2:15; Colossians 3:1-2; Romans 14:17; Isaiah 48:18)
- Never resist God’s Spirit. Always let Him lead and guide you, because He is able to guide you into all truth.
- Don’t be afraid if you come into fiery trials, for gold is purified in the fire. The fire will not consume you, nor the waters overwhelm you.
(1 Peter 1:6-7; Isaiah 43:2)
- Always seek nourishment for your spiritual life. This nourishment consists of life and peace, since the mind of the Spirit is life and peace.
- Open your ears wide to the voice of God’s Son so you can clearly distinguish the Shepherd’s voice from the voice of the hireling.
- Never be satisfied with being somewhat religious outwardly while remaining just as
(2 Corinthians 6:14-17)
within. Shun such folly. Always keep a clear testimony, and never be in league with the world. You must be radical in this, because Christ and Baal, God and the world, can never be united.
- Never be ashamed of the name of Jesus, but profess it boldly; your boldness will increase and your reward will be great.
- If you lack wisdom from God, ask for it; He gives willingly and without reproach. If you want to learn of God, spend time with Him, because you become like the one you spend time with.
(James 1:5; James 4:8)
- Keep saying “yes” to Jesus, “no” to yourself, and “no” to the world. If you do this, your speech will simply be “yes” and “no,” and you know that anything more than this is of the devil.
“Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.” 1 Timothy 6:12.
This article was inspired by a letter written by Johan Oscar Smith to his brother Aksel Smith on June 25, 1905, and originally published in Norwegian by Skjulte Skatters Forlag in the book “Letters of Johan O. Smith” (letter #3).
Read more articles by Johan Oscar Smith here.
Read more about what it means to fight the good fight of faith here:
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.