Are you looking for verses about anxiety, worry, or stress to help you deal with them in your life?
We’d like to start by saying that we are aware that an anxiety disorder is different than everyday anxiety and should be treated as such. We do not pretend to be therapists or doctors and we recommend that anyone dealing with an anxiety disorder seek professional help.
However, anxiety can also be the tendency to stress and to worry and to be restless and fearful about things. Have you ever experienced that gnawing feeling in the pit of your stomach? That ugly feeling of seeing a bleak situation before you and just not knowing how it’s going to turn out? Perhaps that helplessness that often goes along with it?
The greatest power in the universe
The truth of the matter is that you have the greatest power in the universe on your side. You have the Almighty God, the Creator of the ends of the earth holding you in the palm of His hand! The truth is that when you believe that, there is not ever anything to worry about. He will uphold you and cause everything that happens to you to turn out for your best. These verses show that.
- “The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand.” Psalm 121:5.
- “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear.” Psalm 118:6.
- “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4.
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9.
- “Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 10:29-31.
- “Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!” Psalm 139:16-17.
It can be hard to believe that, because you don’t see Him and His strength as a physical substance. But:
- “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1.
Put your trust in the Lord
He cares for you. He loves you. And He wants the very best for you. Believing that will combat anxiety itself.
- “Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?” Matthew 6:27.
So put your trust in the Lord and rest in faith that He is always with you and that He will never allow anything to happen to you that you can’t bear. And that which He does allow to happen to you, He allows so that you can be sanctified through it.
- “That the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 1:7.
- “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13.
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:5.
- “But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” Matthew 19:26.
It takes a battle to come to rest
There can be so many reasons to be tempted to be anxious. Money, family, school, political situations, relationships, illness, the “unknown,” and probably many that you have experienced that we haven’t listed here. And some situations can certainly be very dire, from a human perspective. But no matter how hopeless the situation looks, if you put your trust in the Lord, and let your requests be made known to Him – this is very important, cry out to Him, pour out your heart to Him, give your fears to Him – you can come to rest. Even though you have tofor it.
- “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, , whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” Philippians 4:6-8.
- “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:26-28.
- “… casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7.
- “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31.
- “For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” Matthew 6:32-33.
- “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” Isaiah 26:3.
- “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30.
Promises from the Lord
All of these verses can be weapons tooff anxiety when you are tempted. Stand fast on these promises from the Lord and no situation will be able to cause you to come out of rest, no matter how much you are tempted. Even if it takes a long time for the situation to be sorted out. Even if the end result is not what you had hoped for.
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7.
- “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11.
- “So that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.” Acts 17:27.
- “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” Hebrews 13:5.
- “See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me.” Isaiah 49:16.
- “Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.” Psalm 125:1.
- “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19.
Interested in reading more about overcoming anxiety, worry, and stress? Click here to get to our topic page with many more relevant articles that can help you find the solution in the Word of God.
The following articles may also be of interest to you: